So many people knew little about Alvan Ikoku apart from the usual Nigeria ten naira note bill whose picture appeared on.
Below are some facts about him:
- Alvan Ikoku’s full name is Aalvan Azinna Ikoku.
- He was born on August 1, 1900
- He was a native of Arochukwu, Imo state.
- He attended Arochukwu Government primary school for his primary education.
- He also attended Hope Waddel College.
- He received his first teaching appointment in 1920 with the Presbyterian Church of Nigeria.
- He was also a senior tutor at St. Pauls Teachers’ Training College, Awka, Anambra state.
- Ikoku also earned his University of london degree in Philosophy in 1928.
- Alvan Ikoku initiated free education in Nigeria through his “Education bill of rights” in 1962, which was accepted by the federal government.
- He was a member of the West African Educational Council after his retirement from politics.
- Ikoku rceived honorary Doctorate in Law for his contribution to education in 1965
- A college was also named after him, Alvan Ikoku college of education.
- A major road in Maitama, Abuja, Alvan Ikoku way was also named after him.
- Alvan Ikoku died on 18th November, 1971.
That’s all for now. If there is any mistake o anything missed out here, kindly make amendment through the comment section.